Sunday 13 December 2009

NARS Drop Dead Gorgeous Mini Nail Kit and Mekong shadow

The Drop Dead Gorgeous Mini Nail Kit (£22) contains Arabesque: Pink glitter, as with a lot of glitter shades this feels a bit gritty, Chinatown: deep red, Candy Darling: Sheer palest ivory with a very slight pink tone and Saratoga: Ruby red with gold shimmer. Apart from Candy Darling, which goes on a bit streaky, the others go on well, you need 2 or 3 coats to build to the colour in the bottle and they wear well with minimal chipping. I bought this set for the two darker colours, as I tend to feel a need to wear red round this time of year. I think this would make a really nice gift for Christmas. My favourite is Saratoga!
Please excuse the sloppy application; I had done them in a hurry just to give you an idea of how the colour comes out (first one is Chinatown)
You will no doubt have seen numerous posts about NARS Mekong. I have finally got round to getting this much raved about espresso brown infused with gold micro glitter. In the pan is looks stunning, however once applied in turns into an almost charcoal shade on me. Don’t get me wrong it is a really nice shade but I really want the shade in the pan. The texture is one of the good NARS one, smooth, blends well, really pigmented and doesn’t fade.

4 comments:

  1. Cute set! But I don't think it's your application that is the problem. I find Nars nail polishes in general to apply streaky. The best way to get an even coat is to just apply 3 think streaky coats. As you progress, the streakiness disappears with each coat (does that make sense?).

    I love the colors though, so I usually get my nails professionally done with these and ask them to apply an extra coat.

    The shimmer shades can be a bit more forgiving.

    Thanks for the review/pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lina,
    Yes, that does make sense,maybe I'll try a base coat as well.
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely set, especially Saratoga and Chinatown! I only have one NARS varnish (Tokaido Express) and I like it a lot, though of course one coat is not enough. As for Mekong, I got it too, after reading so much about it I couldn't resist the rich-looking shade! On my colouring it probably looks less charcoal-y, but I need to blend it carefully, otherwise I look like a kid that has been playing in the mud!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna,
    Hum, kid playing in mud, not a look you want to go for really :) it is amazingly pigmented isn't it, I know I went a bit overboard when I first applied it, unfortnutely was going to work and didn't have time to change it... xx

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin