Sunday 3 July 2011

Bobbi Brown Tortoise Shell Collection: Sand Eye Palette

The Focal point of the Tortoise Shell Collection is the two eyeshadow palettes, each compact has four shades on the top layer and then a slide out drawer underneath with the four other shades. The palettes are plastic and the drawer felt more flimsy than I was expecting. It seems the Bronze option is being marketed for those who are warmer and darker toned and the Sand option for those cool and lighter toned.
I bought the Sand option (£48).
The shades are top layer to base layer working clockwise: Ivory (matte sheer white), Hot Stone (matte cool medium brown), Desert Sand (very shimmery warm golden beige), Terracotta (matte sheer peach), Antique Rose (matte sheer warm pink), Black Chocolate (matte very dark brown/black), Gold Bar ( very sheer gold sparkle) and Sandy Rose (shimmery taupe).
Top layer
Base layer
I’m not normally keen on BB mattes but the ones in this seem smoother and blend better. I also have a problem with BB shades turning on me, taking on a yellow or orange tone, apart from Desert Sand which goes on even warmer on my eyes, I’m glad to say that all the other colours went on as swatched. Overall this is not a pigment heavy palette and the look is warm and natural. The stand out shade for me has to be the beautiful Sandy Rose.
Swatches L-R:Ivory, Hot Stone, Desert Sand, Terracotta, Antique Rose, Black Chocolate, Gold Bar and Sandy Rose.

In terms of quality, the shadows blend nicely although I would say I get a bit of colour fade with them. Overall for something that I was somewhat apprehensive about this has turned out to be a nice surprise, its just very easy to wear and great for a no fuss look.
Here is a lipstick next to the palette to show the size.
Eye shadow Ingredients:

I bought this from John Lewis

14 comments:

  1. Antique Rose is really the most interesting shade in the palette. On the whole I can see dupes for all the shades, but the palette itself is what makes the thing such a gem :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I agree with Eli that some of the colours aren't particularly unique, but when I saw pics of the packaging it did make the palette a lot more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm....I want to love it but I don't. I think I need to have a play with a palette in person to really get an idea of the texture. I love neutrals (as you know) but I think I might be able to pass on this. Thank you so much for the post.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely far more attracted to the Bronze palette but luckily I don't have to worry about it...Bobbi Brown is Canada restricted on Sephora and Neiman Marcus so I can't order them anyways ;-) It looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly picked the right compact for your skin tone. It looks beautiful. I would have to check it out in person, since my eyelids don't behave well with Ms. Brown's products. I think she just doesn't make colors cool enough for me. But I was definitely drawn to this palette, including the sleek packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tortoiseshell compact is gorgeous and I love the look you made with it! I did take a good long look at this at the counter yesterday, however I was able to pull myself away (since I think I already have too many BB shadows). I'm glad you posted swatches though, as I'm still thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this looks like a very nice and wearable palette!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The main reason I'm drawn to this palette is because of the advertising campaign and the fact that I wear tortoise-shell glasses. The palette looks pretty, but I'm still not sure if I need it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Eli,
    I think you are right about the majority of the shades being dupable, but it is nice to have them all together and I really do love having palettes :)

    Hi Meeta,
    Its a very nice compact palette, I'm sure it will sell well x

    Hi Jane,
    Yes, its not a must have for you I don't think, I think you would suit most of the shades but I don't think you would love it, I suppose its one of those nice to have but not a necessity type product x

    Hi PerilouslyPale,
    Thank you :) I assumed the brand was widely available, is there a reason why its restricted?

    Hi Zuzu's Petals,
    Thank you :) Terracotta and Antique Rose might be too warm for you but otherwise I think you'd be ok, Desert Sand is warm as well but somehow works well and doesn't go too warm. I think its worth you having a look at it next time you are near a counter.

    Hi Dovey,
    I'm glad you like the look :) I wish I had your restraint, I was just going to browse the collection but somehow my browsing always turns to buying ;)

    Hi Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup,
    I do think BB picks her palette combinations well, making them wearable for the majority of people.

    Hi dempss01,
    Well you probably don't need it, but perhaps theres a sign there if you wear tortoise-shell glasses ;) I'm sure it would suit you but you may well have similar shades.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I forgot to check out this palette when I was at Nordstrom today. Thanks for the swatches. It looks like a lovely palette.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the collection in Saks but wasn't sure if I should get anything, but it looks lovely on you and these are definitely very wearable shades -- I may go back for this palette! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kristie,
    I am glad I got it, the brush set is meant to be really nice as well but it seems to be exclusive to one store in the UK and not the one near me, probably good for my wallet though ;)

    Hi Makeup Magpie,
    Thank you :) I'm not so good with the looking and not buying concept ;) I'm sure the shades would look lovely on you x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for posting, I've been so curious about this. I need to check out the Bronze palette in person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Prime Beauty,
    Thanks for stopping by :) BB does make very natural, easy to wear palettes.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin